Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How To Cook Your Tikoy For New Year?: Deep Fried Tikoy in Rolls

I've been a bit preoccupied with my job that I haven't been paying attention to my blogs lately, until I have been teaching a friend to create a blog. So, here I am, I am back and Pinoy Food Taste will surely satisfy your taste buds!

One of my personal faves during Chinese New Year is Tikoy. Tikoy is Chinese rice cake made from glutinous rice flour and considered as a centerpiece during Chinese New Year. Most people simply mix their tikoy beaten eggs and have it fried. But one good recipe you can try, just like mine, is to sliced into strips, wrapped in spring roll wrapper and deep-fried. It is recommended to serve with honey, fruit jam or sprinkled sugar!

Here is a good recipe:

300 g glutinous rice flour

300 g brown sugar

150 g corn starch

100 g vegetable oil

200 g water

½ c coconut milk

1 can jack fruit, sliced into thin strips

spring roll wrappers

extra brown sugar on hand


Heat a big saucepan with the vegetable oil, inside a water bath (the tikoy started sticking straight away so I thought this method would be better, to prevent it from burning).



Stir in ingredients slowly and continue to stir. After mixing all the ingredients well, cook it for at least 1 hour until thick and sticky. Mine took only about 45 minutes to cook and you can tell this by noticing that the tikoy is becoming very shiny as the oil from the coconut cream is starting to come out.


Place in a tray and cool.


Once the tikoy is all done, cut it into strips, with the jack fruit slices arrange onto the spring roll wrapper (as you would for a normal spring roll filling).


Sprinkle some brown sugar on top.

Wrap them up and deep fry them in hot oil until golden crispy!

0 comments:

Recipe ideas can be great with love and care felt while cooking. I can't imagine how much my love one's will love this dish!